About the course
- Upon completion of this course you will be able to:
- Identify and consult on popular international travel and tourism destinations.
- Advise on modes of transportation, accommodation, and tours.
- Understand IATA resolutions that apply to accredited travel agencies.
- Construct complex fares and manage changes to electronic tickets.
- Exam Method: Online exam with remote supervision
- Exam Format: Multiple Choice questions. Closed Textbook; Foldout Maps are not permitted
- Number of questions: 80
- Time Allowance: 2 hours
- Passing Grade: 60%
- Distinction Grade: 85%
- Number of exam attempts: 2
- Popular tourism destinations
- Sales techniques
- Airfare construction and ticket exchanges/ reissuance
- Travel industry laws and regulations
- Tour, luxury and group travel options
- Accommodation (other than hotels)
- Social media marketing
This course requires approximately 150 hours of study to be completed in 12 months from the purchase date (enrollment validity). After the enrollment validity expires, the users will not have access to the course content and will not be able to take the exam.
Table of contents
Land transport – rail
- Luxury trains; rail passes and itineraries
- Tickets and fares
- Conditions of carriage
Land transport – bus and coach
- Systems, services and quality of road passenger transport
- Travel planning
- Travel in North America, Britain and Europe, New Zealand, and other locations
Accommodation other than hotels
- Understanding today’s traveller
- Niche accommodation products
- Building your information database
Water transport – cruises
- History of cruising; major cruise destinations
- Cruise products, categories and duration
- Types of cruise ship and price categories
- The cruise ship as a resort
- Reservations, ticketing, and administrative procedures
- Conditions of carriage
Tour production, group and luxury travel
- Tour production
- Customization of individual tours
- Tour documents; Tour pricing, presentation, sales
- Group and luxury travel
Laws and regulations
- Key issues regarding country laws
- Relationship between IATA and the travel agent
- Travel agent associations
- Adapting to changes in travel sales
- Travel sales process and use of different media
- Recognizing the buying influences in largeaccount sales
- Selling travel insurance
Advanced journey pricing and ticketing
- Review of fare selection criteria
- Currency rules and rounding procedures
- OW pricing units and fare component checks
- Special mileage provisions
- RT/CT/RW fare construction
- Journeys with surface sectors
- Normal fare open jaw construction
- Lowest combination principles
- Limitations on indirect travel
- Review of taxes, fees and charges
- Mixed class travel; Ticket alterations
The Covid period has taught us how comfortable it can be to work from home and we are happy to build on this momentum. So no travelling, taking leave or endless evenings attending classes: the IATA course is offered to you completely online. This allows you to learn the course at your own pace and rhythm, wherever and whenever you want. No group lessons are organised, either physically or online. For any practical questions, you can of course always contact us. Good to know: the courses are very clearly structured, which makes self-study much easier. After each theoretical chapter, you immediately get the chance to put this into practice by simulating your chosen GDS. All learning material is described in great detail and each chapter ends with numerous repetitions.
You start whenever you wish and choose your own exam time. Note: from the moment you are enrolled, you have one year for all this. Keep that deadline in mind!
IATA provides 6 exam moments per year specifically: in January, March, May, July, September and November. Usually, the exam is scheduled in the last week of these months and always takes place digitally. This can be done at our Mechelen campus or from home.
The cost price varies per course. Under 'how to register' you will find the link to register online. When you do this, you will get the overview of the prices of the different courses.
Thomas More students and Thomas More alumni (max 2 years after graduation) enjoy a discount. This has already been taken into account in the registration link. Each time, you can opt for an e-book or for a printed version, in which case shipping costs will be charged. The price also includes 2 exam moments each time.