With over 52 million tons of cargo shipped annually, the air cargo industry is the place to be. Prepare yourself to work in the industry with this comprehensive course. You will learn about basic IATA cargo rules and procedures, how freight forwarders and airline cargo units operate, plus much more.
This course is mandated for IATA Cargo Agents in accordance with the IATA Cargo Agency Resolutions.
- Guide clients on the IATA rules and procedures for air freight shipments
- Arrange air cargo shipments in accordance with IATA rules and procedures
- Apply published rates and charges for air cargo shipments
- Complete air waybills accurately Prepare shipments ready for carriage
- Newcomers to the industry
- Students bachelor & master Logistic Management, Tourism & Leisure Management
- Cargo agent and air freight forwarder sales and marketing staff
- Airline and manufacturer sales, reservations, and acceptance staff
- Junior-level managers at cargo agents, airlines, and manufacturers
- Key topics
- Operations at cargo agencies, airlines, and freight forwarders
- Air cargo acceptance basic rating principles
- Air waybill completion
- Industry terminology and abbreviations
- IATA geography, TACT, and other cargo manuals
This is a self-study course, which will take you approximately 160-200 hours to complete depending on your previous knowledge and experience.
The course materials are provided in printed and e-book format
You will have 12 months to complete the course and exam (enrollment validity), which starts from the date you purchase the course
Your performance will be based on an examination.
- Online exam with remote supervision (OERS)
- You will be given 3 hours to complete 100 multiple choice questions. Closed course book
- You are only allowed to use your IATA TACT Training Edition (accessible through the online exam resources)
- Passing grade is 60% correct answers; 90% correct answers are needed for a distinction
- You will be given 2 attempts to successfully complete the final exam.
Table of contents
- Industry regulations
- The air cargo agency
- World geography
- Aircraft Handling facilities
- Air cargo acceptance
- Cargo automation
- Air cargo rates and charges
- The air waybill
The Covid period has taught us how comfortable it can be to work from home and we are happy to build on this momentum. So no travelling, taking leave or endless evenings attending classes: the IATA course is offered to you completely online. This allows you to learn the course at your own pace and rhythm, wherever and whenever you want. No group lessons are organised, either physically or online. For any practical questions, you can of course always contact us. Good to know: the courses are very clearly structured, which makes self-study much easier. After each theoretical chapter, you immediately get the chance to put this into practice by simulating your chosen GDS. All learning material is described in great detail and each chapter ends with numerous repetitions.
You start whenever you wish and choose your own exam time. Note: from the moment you are enrolled, you have one year for all this. Keep that deadline in mind!
IATA provides 6 exam moments per year specifically: in January, March, May, July, September and November. Usually, the exam is scheduled in the last week of these months and always takes place digitally. This can be done at our Mechelen campus or from home.
The cost price varies per course. Under 'how to register' you will find the link to register online. When you do this, you will get the overview of the prices of the different courses.
Thomas More students and Thomas More alumni (max 2 years after graduation) enjoy a discount. This has already been taken into account in the registration link. Each time, you can opt for an e-book or for a printed version, in which case shipping costs will be charged. The price also includes 2 exam moments each time.